Monday, March 4, 2013

Lock and load!


I have never been a conspiracy theorist.  The mindset that there's more than meets the eye in every instance has always struck me as imbecilic.  It assumes that there is a nefarious undercurrent to all things.  

It doesn't pass the logic test.  If you think 9-11 was an inside job, stop and think for a minute.  Think about the staggering number of people who would have to be "in" on the conspiracy, at least to some degree.  Now think about how damned difficult it is to keep three or four people quiet about someone's surprise birthday party!

All-too-often, conspiracy theorists concoct scenarios that would confuse Rube Goldberg.  It assumes an amount of acumen and cleverness that I'm sure our government does not possess.

It's also been my experience that conspiracy theorists are among the most miserable people I've met...socially, at least.  Perhaps dreaming up scenarios with black helicopters circling over their heads gives them a sense of importance...that they matter enough to warrant dark forces to conspire against them.  The reality---that they're not that important---is less appealing.

Having said all that, I will admit that I'm NOT getting warm fuzzies by what I'm reading in regards to the Department of Homeland Security.  Today's news informs us that DHS is purchasing 2,700 light-armored tanks.  This is on top of previous reports of their stockpiling ammunition....somewhere between 1.6 and 2.1 billion rounds, according to estimates.

I realize that there is a police function to DHS and I'm sure the agents would prefer being armed with something better than a pocketknife...but the timing is curious.  At a time when gun control measures are all the rage, when ammunition for the rank-and-file is becoming scarce, and when the White House is occupied by a man who had no compunctions about using drones to target Americans...well, let's just say I'm on guard.

I think I'll hold off getting fitted for a tinfoil hat...but my eyes are wide open.  The only thing I hate more than conspiracy theorists is when conspiracy theorists are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment