Friday, March 27, 2009

Lights out!

This weekend brings with it more than just crappy weather to the Danville area. It also brings what I'm told is the second-annual "Earth Hour." Our friends at Associated Press tell us that the Eiffel Tower, The Acropolis, even the Great Pyramids will lower their lights for an hour tomorrow. The goal, ostensibly, is to raise awareness of Global Warming. What mood lighting has to do with the core temperature of the Earth escapes me, but I'll play along.

For those of you who attend the "Church of Global Warming," this has to be a panacea. The Perfect "style-over-substance" event that has drawn participation from a reported 84 countries! Well, you can't say the Global Warming Alarmists can't get the word out!

Here's my take. I am a left-brained guy. I have seen enough evidence on both sides of the global warming debate to ascertain that no one knows for sure what the hell is going on. As for my personal belief---let's just say I would be willing to lend an ear to the Global Warming crowd, if every proposed solution to the alleged problem wasn't something that would hamstring American capitalism. The Obama administration is already doing a bang-up job on that front.

Folks, the earth's temperature has warmed and cooled for nigh on five billion years now! That's long before Adam and Eve took an ill-advised bite of an apple. Does human activity have an impact on the environment? Yes. Much like pissing in the ocean causes water levels to rise.

This is going to come as blasphemy to environmentalists everywhere, but man's impact on the environment is negligible. Yea---I said it! Think of it like this. The 2004 Tsunami in southeast Asia produced energy equivalent to 165,000 hydrogen bombs! And that was nothing more than a geologic burp! Did the Earth die? No!

On Saturday, instead of stroking Mother Earth's breasts, I think I'll run through the house and replace every bulb with a 200-watt monster. All the better to watch the NCAA tournament with.

No comments:

Post a Comment